Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Contemplations During Down Time #1

3/17/15

Once every few months I consider the following: A single, Universal force responsible for creation and destruction. Nothing in the physical world is truly in an inert state. Slowly, everything is being "destroyed," breaking down, to make room for new creations. If Einstein was right and matter at the speed of light turns into energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, then matter, in death, must transforming into something else. Let's first associate this idea with the seasons, as the concept is evident or can be theoretically applied to various, natural processes. Let's look at the natural purposes of the seasons beginning with Winter. Agriculturally, winter is a time of gestation. It is the season in which the earth prepares for the birth of Spring. The earth is essentially pregnant with life.  However, this is also a time of "death" in which "life" breaks down, returning to a sort of beginning.  I'm reminded of winterizing plants. Leaves fall, stalks "die" and everything returns to a moot state.  Yet with many plants, the seed or bulb remains, and will be ready to exert the energy needed to grow in the season of Spring. Various conditions in Winter can affect the harvest in the Autumn.  So we see the process of a sort of destruction which is needed for future "creation." Smaller, personal examples of destruction and creation are apparent in common phrases, such as, "Something must end (death) for something new to begin (life)."

Even in literal creation, as in sexual reproduction, destruction must take place on a physical and psychological level. An egg must be destroyed to grow into a fetus, as a must a sperm be destroyed, dead in its original form, but transformed into something else. This process of the sperm penetrating the egg is characteristic of the male sexual organ penetrating the vagina. This is a holographic process. The same process happens in plants. I think it is highly amusing to recognize that plants have sex! And the characteristics of this process stem back to the myth of the cosmic egg - creation of matter in space. Are individual objects born of the "Big Bang" enacting a cycle, perpetuating an energy that is responsible for the creation of matter itself? Psychologically, for a time, the parents must also "die" as individuals to rear a child that is half mother, half father, yet entirely unique in itself, in the same way that a fetus is not just half sperm and half egg, though sperm and egg both retain their initial identities in the early stages of the fetus before transforming together into something else entirely. This idea would render positive space masculine, penetrating the feminine, negative space. Conversely, negative space also exists within matter. For me to scratch wood off of this desk, there must be space in-between particles, allowing the desk to be altered, "destroyed" of its original identity. This notion, though approached through observed phenomenon, is the theory of the Yin Yang. And all things, though they have been through the process of destruction and creation, retain an element of original form. Therefore, a person always retains the masculine (sperm) and feminine (egg), though one more than the other determines his or her physical sex.

Similarly, a tree is cut down and destroyed, cut into planks to make this desk. It is no longer a tree.  But the material and apparent, natural wood grain suggests its origins. Consider the holograph, which is cut in half again and again. Slowly, the image of a car becomes a blur, yet some of the information from the original image must be retained for the blur to continually appear. However, the blur is no longer identifiable as an image of a car. If everything contains a sort of "memory" of what it was before it transformed into something else entirely, then that "memory" must also contain its own memory of what it was prior to its "memory" state. Theoretically, nothing is lost, and therefore everything contains within it the whole, before it became separate, different "things." If everything contains its original state, and/or a memory of its creation from energy into matter (essentially, a memory of the Big Bang), then the process of which things came to be must constantly be happening within everything for transformation to occur.  Essentially, the Big Bang didn't happen, it is happening. This is theoretical physics from the phenomenological viewpoint of a non-scientist.  These questions and ideas came from the exploration of my personal habits of creation and destruction, observing them first within and recognizing them without.

One year, I had cultivated a hanging garden. I was shocked and impressed by the carnage enacted by Mother Nature. One of my plants was infested with aphids. Every day I had attempted biological warfare with Neem oil, to no avail. I had read that the best solution was green lacewings. The idea of growing and hatching my own army of bugs to defeat the enemy was highly amusing to me. It struck me that to I was attempting to create and maintain beauty at the hands of suffering. Soon after my infestation of aphids, I noticed caterpillars devouring the same plant. I had seen a hornet land on this plant and turned my head, while eating breakfast on the porch one day, to a loud thud. The hornet had captured a large caterpillar and their weight together had dropped them to the porch floor. After some initial struggle, the hornet, now positioned a top the caterpillar, began devouring the creature, (and quite rapidly too!), until it was completely gone! Yet still, as humans, we are terrified of our own destructive nature, the part of the very thing needed for our survival.

When I was a small child, my father, (where I get my interest in physics from) had excitedly drawn my attention to a similar scene inside of the garden. I remember the feeling, but not the image, as I was too young not to feel horrified and block the image from my mind.  A garden snake slowly swallowing an unsuspecting toad. After seeing the hornet and the caterpillar, I understand now, first hand, my father's then fascination. As I grew older, specifically into a teenager, I, for many reasons I assume, became what I feel is imbalanced in the manifestation of this primal process of creation and destruction. Though, at times I "created" images of destruction, sadness and solitude, anger and evil, rather than enacting them (though to be fair I did enact them at times) I had denied the creative force that is love and thus became a sort of harbinger of destruction. This is an extreme label of course.  But I wonder how my conscious denial and suppression of love unconsciously affected the manifestation of this primal destructive force. Anti-biotics commonly cause yeast infections because they deplete "good" bacteria, causing an overgrowth of yeast. So we see here - too much of anything in the microcosm of the body acts or creates an imbalance which creates illness and destroys the body. Creation and destruction in unison create the "whole" - an order in which creation and destruction work together to grow and evolve all that exists.

The origins of the universe are within everything. I had once thought love was a weakness and cursed my desire to create (as I was compelled to paint, it never felt like a choice). Only when I had accepted love did I begin to feel lucky I had the desire to create, and was good at it! I realized that I was not limited to paint on a canvas, but that I had the desire and strength to create my own life. This seems to be the same/similar experience individuals have with God, but I'm suggesting here that there is no divide, that God is science, and all dissenting viewpoints are merely people saying the same thing in different languages, assuming that the lack of understand is an augment in the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment